Unknown to most, cannabinoids are not readily digestible by your body. While your body does contain cannabinoid receptors, the cannabis compound must be changed in order for it to be absorbed properly. Your system processes THC differently when ingested as opposed to when inhaled. The THC changes chemical compound as it travels from the stomach to the liver, changing from delta-9THC to 11-hydroxy-THC. When smoking, your liver does not create 11-hydroxy-THC. While your body metabolizes the THC from delta9 to 11-hydroxy through ingestion, you feel the effects of both THC compounds. Thus, while ingesting does not get you any more intoxicated, the affect is distinctly different than inhaling.
Who are edibles for?
While ingesting cannabis may not be for everyone, it does have multiple benefits over inhalation. The carcinogens that are connected with smoking are not associated with ingesting cannabis. When ingesting cannabis, your body releases the cannabinoids in small doses throughout an extended period of time, and thus serves as a great pain reliever for patients with severe, chronic pain, diseases such as MS and cancer, and also alleviates symptoms of ADHD, Autism, anxiety and more. Edibles are not recommended for people who need immediate relief or people who do not enjoy the effect of a physical high.
Some tips to remember while orally ingesting marijuana:
There are no known long-term negative effects of orally ingesting marijuana
- It can take up to 1.5 to 2 hours to feel the full effect of your edible
- The effects of your edible can last anywhere from 6 to 10 hours
- Ingesting too marijuana can lead to extreme drowsiness, rapid heartbeat,
- inability to focus, changes in body temperature, nausea, dizziness,
- increases or decreases in blood pressure, and the inability to concentrate.
- Always eat edibles that are clearly labeled with the dosage in grams or milligrams
What to do if you feel you have ingested too much:
Relax in a cool, dim lit environment and take deep breaths, keep hydrated, eat non-cannabis food. Remember that there are no long term effects of consuming too much cannabis, remain calm, and wait it out.
Alcohol will increase the effects of ingesting cannabis immensely. It is not recommended to mix alcohol and cannabis edibles. We also strongly advise against using and operating machinery and/or a vehicle while using any cannabis edibles. ALWAYS keep your medical cannabis edibles out of the reach of children and pets.